A Rebirth of a Hockey Tradition – The Fredericton Red Wings
Junior Hockey hasn’t existed in Fredericton since the early 80’s. The Global Center Ice group, made up of shareholders with a diverse hockey background, has acquired the franchise rights to the St. Stephen Aces Junior A Hockey team and will be relocating them to Fredericton in time for the upcoming 2019-2020 hockey season. Led by President Roger Shannon, the team will have a vast pool of knowledge and experience to pull from its ownership group and team staff.
The ownership group Global Center Ice consists of:
- George Mitchell – Tampa Florida – Businessman and owner of the largest ice rink in the south, the Advent Health Center Ice Arena in Wesley Chapel, Florida.
- Roger Shannon – Former RCMP and Fredericton Police Officer, 911 Director, long-time Hockey General Manager, Scout and Coach in the QMHL and CIS, as well as founding member of the V Red Prospects Hockey program.
- Gordie Zimmerman – Tampa Florida – A businessman and owner of the largest ice rink in the south, the Advent Health Center Ice Arena in Wesley Chapel, Florida.
- Leo Gould – Nashua, New Hampshire – Long-time hockey program owner of the New England Huskies, and 20-year veteran scout in the QMJHL with the Moncton Wildcats.
- Zachary Shannon – Graduate of the University of New Brunswick, former CIS player, graduate of the MHL and QMJHL, and a member of the 2012 Fred Page Cup Champions Woodstock Slammers
- Dave Harroch – Montreal, Quebec – Businessman and owner of the Montreal Meltdown Hockey Program
- Mark Welton – Toronto, Ontario – President of IMAX, a former champion with the UNB Red Devils, graduate of the UNB Law Program, and part of the hall of fame 1981 Minto High School Tigers, NB AAA High School Hockey Champions.
- Brian Johnson – Long-time Fredericton Businessman, owner of Kingswood Golf and Radisson Hotel, as well as the team’s title sponsor.
The team is being named the Fredericton Junior Red Wings in honour of the NBJHL Winning teams from the late 70’s and early 80’s. That team, coached by Hockey Legend and Local Frederictonian Frederick “Buster” Harvey, competed in the New Brunswick Junior Hockey League and won a championship under the Red Wings banner. The 2019 Fredericton Red Wings dubbed “A Rebirth of a Hockey Tradition” almost 40 years in the making, is meant to pay homage to the success that program brought to the local hockey community. The Red Wings will plan to expand on those accomplishments and provide the Capital Region with an exciting new team to be a part of and cheer for!
The team will call the Grant Harvey Center home ice for all home games. Being Fredericton’s newest Hockey Facility, the team plans to capitalize on the openness of the NHL Sized ice surface and surrounding viewing areas. This intimate feeling 1500 seat Hockey Arena will come alive with the talent our Junior Hockey Players will be showcasing over the course of the season. The Fredericton Junior Red Wings are excited to host Fredericton, Oromocto and all other surrounding communities under one roof, cheering for our home team come September 2019! GO WINGS GO!